Tis the season to give! At Cornerstone Scott shared a special message about the importance of humble and self-sacrificial service for others and for God. At the end of the service, he suggested 10 practical ways to serve others. I have included them here, please read, enjoy and act.
1. Be there for your friends, family and church
Romans 12:10, Be devoted to one another in love. Honour one another above yourselves.
2. Volunteer (with a willing and subservient heart) at your church
1 Peter 4:10-11, Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others
3. Donate items to or serve a good charity
Matthew 25:40, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
4. Encourage someone
1 Thessalonians 5:11, encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
5. Feed or care for someone in need
Acts 20:35, In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak
6. Offer services, like babysitting, DIY, etc – for free!
Hebrews 13:16, And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.
7. Help other people utilise their spiritual gifts
Philippians 2:3, Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
8. Listen to people when they need to talk
James 1:19, Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak…
9. Do random acts of kindness
Proverbs 11:24-25, One person gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly but comes to poverty. 25 A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed. (awesome!!!)
10. Desire opportunities to serve
Galatians 6:9, Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.